Tuesday, February 3, 2015

All About The Math!!

Hello Everyone!!
It's is all about the math tonight!  We had a great time exploring the concept of addition using an interesting pattern. Those of you who have been reading this little blog for a while know I just have to throw in our life sized  100 board for a group lesson every now and then!  Today we had a blast creating a "ginormous" number sentence with a hands on visual to help us!! We started off with 1. We added 2. then, 3, then 4 all the way up to 10 and then went backwards by adding 9, then 8, then 7, then 6, and so on and so on!  I cut out some quick squares of paper in various colors and had the kids lay them out according to the number we were adding.  The kids were working on the number sentence on their whiteboards. At the end, when we finally got to the last +1, we were at 100!!! 
Take a peek!









We were able to have huge conversations with a ton of "math talk" throughout the whole lesson! The kids wanted to put the board and cards in a math tub!!  I said, "Of course!!" :)

There is an individual independent practice activity similar to this whole group lesson in my 100th Day of School unit.

Next I want to share a few things I will be putting in math tubs next week.  They are all Valentine related!  So Sweet!!










These are a few of the 8 or so activities you will find in the 30 page unit.  You can pick and choose appropriate things for your little learners.


OK friends, off to get ready for a huge Gala my honey and I are attending on Saturday...I haven't been to a black tie affair in forever.....OK...never... sooooo...I am just a little excited!!  Got to find the shoes and a little sparkle yet!! :)
Hope you're having a great week!
Till next time,
Joyfully!
Nancy







No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!