Thursday, January 2, 2014

Historical Figures, MLK and Inventors

Hello Everyone!
It is so nice to have time to put some finishing touches on a couple of units that we have coming up! Another historical figure we will study after Eleanor Roosevelt is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. As a nation we celebrate his life daily! Thank you Dr. King! Officially we celebrate on the third Monday of January. I have posted about our activities before, but I went through and cleaned up, and added to my unit.  Here are some pics from the updated unit!












If you would like the 30 page free printable unit CLICK HERE!! :)

My second offering for today is a unit our curriculum team worked on this summer. We had fun integrating reading and social studies and are finding it a natural way to teach and get everything in.
This next unit is about other important historical figures.  It includes posters about Alexander Graham Bell, Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison, Garrett Morgan, and Richard Allen along with reading strategy practice activities.  It also includes an invention home project packet for kids. The unit ended up to be over 50 pages! I am excited to include this unit in our curriculum in a few weeks!!  Here are a few pics from the unit!












 So glad I had time to share these endeavors!  Hope you can use at least parts of either one!  It is my joy to be able to share and help your journey in the classroom or homefront become a little less stressful. As always, please let me know if this is something you can use, if there are any typos or problems, and if you would like to see something else in particular on this little blog.  I hear from teachers and parents from all over the world, and I am so grateful for all of you!!  
Joyfully!
Nancy







17 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the MLK freebie! My kindergarten class will love the song :)
    Michelle
    www.mrsscotese.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle!!
      I added an extra stanza this year and can't wait to have the kids try it out! If you think of more, let me know!! :)
      Joyfully!
      Nancy

      Delete
    2. I just want to thank you for all your wonderful mini units. I love all the real world connections:) Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. For some reason my google doc isn't working. could you possibly email to alewis725@msn.com these resources? that would be fantastic in my room. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy! This is a wonderful unit for MLK! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your awesome units! It's so nice to see teachers sharing for free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you again Nancy for sharing such wonderful units. My students particularly love the songs and poems. They really help them remember and retain the information.

    Tracy
    California

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both perfect for the next two months of school! Thank you so much and Happy New Year!

    Faithful in First

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for updating this. I did this with the apples from your unit last year for MLK and my students LOVED it. I am doing it again this year. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Lessons Learned

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your units and thank you so much for being a great resource for myself as a new teacher :) I was wondering, how long do you typically take to teach one of your units?

    -Meagan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meagan, Most of my units take about a week, but the one on Inventors on this post will take two maybe three weeks. I don't always have time to do everything included in the units, but I like knowing certain components are there in case I find myself with a couple of extra minutes!
      Hope this helps!!
      Thanks for asking!
      Joyfully!
      Nancy

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the units! As always they are fantastic! Thank you for inspiring me to be a better teacher and sharing all your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for all of your posts!! I am a first time first grade teacher after staying home with my 4 kids for 11 years. I find your classroom to be amazing!! Could you tell me what math & reading series your school uses? Do you follow the common core with your books or do you do everything thematically? Could you give me any advice or guidance as to how you plan? Thanks again for all your inspiration!!
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing such incredible resources. We are reading Now and Ben next week so the unit on inventors fits perfectly! :) Thank you for sharing such great work with all of us! I absolutely love the cold passages that you included. I am so excited to have found your blog! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these lesson packs you have been sharing, especially the ELA/SS ones - can't wait to use some of them! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these lessons. Thank you so much for sharing. My kids are going to love learning about inventors and making their own invention. Thank you sooooo much.
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the FREEBIES. Those are huge! I am trying to integrate social studies with LA as much as I can, so these will be extremely helpful!! Your blog is adorable - and helpful!!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!